Functional Medicine is an evidence-based and systems-oriented approach that identifies the root cause of disease. Rather than merely addressing symptoms, we take a look at the interconnected factors of genetics, lifestyle, environment, diet, and patient history to get a clear picture of the underlying causes of dysfunction. Functional Medicine was created by the Institute for Functional Medicine, which is based out of the Cleveland Clinic Center for Functional Medicine.
Functional Medicine looks connected patterns within the body, rather than isolated organ systems. Health is viewed as a positive vitality, rather than the mere absence of disease or dysfunction. Treatment is patient-centered, rather than disease-centered, and is dependent upon a therapeutic partnership between the patient and the functional medicine nutritionist. You should plan on spending much more time with our functional medicine nutritionist than you would in a conventional medicine appointment. Appointments involve a thorough intake of patient history, including diet and lifestyle, in order to understand the causes of imbalance. From there, we use individualized nutrition recommendations and, if applicable, advanced lab testing to tailor a plan that will address your concerns.
What Can Functional Medicine Nutrition Help With?
Functional Medicine Nutrition can be used to support the following concerns:
- Gastrointestinal Imbalances: leaky gut, acid reflux (GERD), dysbiosis, Candida overgrowth, IBS, IBD, SIBO, Celiac disease, indigestion, bloating, food sensitivities, etc.
- Hormonal Dysregulation: adrenal dysregulation, PMS, irregular periods, etc.
- Cardiometabolic Conditions: diabetes, overweight, obesity, metabolic syndrome, etc.
- Autoimmune Conditions: Rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn's disease, Ulcerative colitis, Multiple sclerosis, etc.
- Aging: osteopenia, osteoporosis, inflammation, Alzheimer's disease, dementia, etc.
- Detoxification Support
How Do I Get Started?
Give our office a call at 303-215-0390 to schedule a complimentary 15-minute discovery call with our functional medicine nutritionist to discuss how Functional Medicine Nutrition can help you achieve your health goals.